Wednesday 8 June 2016

Chwee Kueh

I can't remember what was the reason that prompted me to try making my own chwee kueh but I am certainly glad I did. Chwee Kueh has always been one of my favourite savoury snacks and it is not hard to find it in food paradise Singapore but it is hard to find one with the Chai Por topping that suits my palate; I like my Chai Por to be on the sweeter side but those I found outside often tastes just plain salty. I have made Chwee Kueh a few times and especially loving the Chai Por. So here are the Chwee Kueh + Chai Por recipes I have tried:

Chwee Kuehs I made quite some time ago

I was told Chwee Kueh should have this distinctive "crater".
But sometimes mine end up with no "craters"! LOL. I think I might have stumbled
onto the cause. Let me do a few more rounds to confirm my findings.



Ingredients:

Chai Por topping
recipe adapted from book Singapore Hawker Food
- 450 gm Chai Por, chopped
- 60 gm garlic, minced
- 18-20 tbsp cooking oil
- 4-5 tbsp caster sugar

Kueh (about 30 pieces)
recipe adapted from www.cakes-kueh.com

A: 
- 460 ml water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil

B:
- 200 gm rice flour
- 40 gm tapioca flour
- 460 ml water

Method:


1. Rinse Chai Por a few times and soak for about 30 minutes to remove excessive salt. Strain and discard water.

2. Heat cooking oil (I used rice bran oil) in pot and put in the strained Chai Por and simmer on low heat for 40 minutes. Stir now and then to avoid burning.

3. Add minced garlic and simmer till fragrant.

4. Add sugar and stir well. Adjust sugar amount according to preference. Remove from heat and set aside.

5. Prepare steamer and moulds1.

6. Boil all A ingredients: 460ml of water, salt and cooking oil. Set aside.

7. Prepare B ingredients: Sieve the 2 flours and add remaining 460ml water to it. Stir well.

8. Add A to B while whisking B.

9. Pour into prepared moulds and steam at high heat for about 20 minutes.

***************************************************************

Notes:

1. You can choose to grease the moulds or leave them ungreased. I think I have tried both ways and there was not much of a difference. I will leave them ungreased.



No comments:

Post a Comment