Saturday 9 May 2015

Crumbly Butter Cookies

Recently I have been so busy and tired (read: lazy) that I haven't been doing any serious baking. Not to mention trying new bakes. So in a bid to use up my expiring ingredients and to get my butt moving, I decided to do some simple bakes: butter cookies.
 
 
I have baked butter cookies previously and the 1st recipe I came to love is one from my SIL. I don't know where she got it from because she also can't remember but it was most likely from some show or the Internet. I loved the cut and shaped ones my SIL made but the problem I encountered back then was my cookies are often too crumbly to handle so it is quite a mess to eat them. Hers are not like that and we didn't know why. Later I kind of figured out that I might have to knead them a bit longer to get the gluten forming and hence holding the cookie together after baking. In any case this is not very relevant today because I have modified her method to one that suits the lazy me today.
 
Here's the recipe:
crumbly buttery cookies


cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy
 
Ingredients:
- 250gm unsalted butter, softened
- 90gm caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350gm plain flour
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
 
Flatten the dough slightly into a disc
 

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 175C (fan forced).
2. Cream softened butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Add yolk and extract (I also added in a bit of vanilla paste today because I had some bits left in the bottle). Mix well.
4. Sift flour and salt into butter mixture in 2-3 additions. Fold in between each addition. Give it a quick mix at the lowest speed to ensure dough is mixed evenly. If you prefer a cookie that holds its shape well and not too crumbly, mix it a few sec more.
5. Scoop the dough using a cookie scoop (size 70) onto lined baking trays. Flatten slightly with a spatula or your hand.
6. Bake for 12-15min or until edges of cookies are slightly browned. Cool completely before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment